Tuesday, March 4, 2008

Nothing to see here

Attempts were made to show you the terrifically painstaking baby-quilt-top-in-progress, the "petit l'orange" quilt (though if someone wants to e-mail me the French word for duckling, the working title may change)... however... it is late in the afternoon, the light is all wrong for capturing the deep orange and palest duck-egg blue of the fabrics, and the tiny smidges of butter yellow and tomato red just, well, how do you spell ppffft? Add more spitting and that's about what I said. Okay, there were more expletives, but mostly directed at myself for not thinking ahead. I have decided to make one pass around the twelve blocks daily, unless I have to rip out a seam. That's pretty much a free pass to quitsville for me, unless I want to risk having to haul the whole shebang out into the yard and set it on fire. I don't really have the temperment to be a patchworker, but the narcissist in me lives for the oohs and aahs. Isn't that why we do what we do? If no one ever got excited about your craft, would you still do it?
I'd still knit. I'm a glutton for a good many things, but a fine yarn running through my fingers and growing, stitch by stitch, into a Useful Thing is and will always be an enourmous thrill for me. The patchworking, I'm not so sure about. If no one ever took notice, my quilts would probably look like this, and this, just simple makey-dos, without fussiness. Pretty fabrics laying side by side, no Olympic piecing, no agonizing over color theory. Simple quilts and hand knitted socks could keep me occupied forever. My fear is that one day I'll look up and realize I've become a dinosaur, clutching my Rowan magazines the way some sixty and seventy sometings hoarde their 'Workbasket" mags. This is why I've decided to make a concentrated effort to expand my crafty horizons (cr*ch*t and paper-piecing are on the list) to postpone my inspiration's expiration date.
Must be off to knitting soon. Be well. C

4 comments:

B said...

Honey, if you truly attempted to quilt more often, you would have to change the name of this blog to "CamillaSwears".

Dragonfly7673 (Vicki) said...

Had quite the giggle at Boris' comment

Stephanie said...

Ah yes....I could be pretty satisfied for a long time with some good yarn and some pretty fabric. That is until the next shiny thing flashes in my face and I have to try whatever it is as well.....heavy sigh....

In response to your "knit from both ends of the ball" for my misbehaving yarn....UGH! I don't wanna do that!!! I'm still pondering scarves with it....or mitts with lower stitch counts than socks. I will whip this yarn into submission. IT WILL BEND TO MY WILL........eventually :)

Thimbleanna said...

Boris is hysterical! He REALLY needs to be rewarded LOL! I would definitely continue to make things if no one noticed. Like you, I love the feel of the fibers in my hands -- all kinds. And my eyes soak up all the colors. Woohoo -- we'll soon have you crocheting too!