Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Hot off the needles

Things are slowly getting done here at Becher Haus. Tonight we are having our Thanksgiving dinner, as it's a regular work day for Herr Becher tomorrow. I will spend tomorrow fretting over the laundry, the State of the Kitchen, and plotting the next project to come 'off needles'. Here's what's been finished in the past thirty-six hours:
The "Tonks" socks in Opal. My OCD was well controlled as I knit the second sock from the inside of the ball. They are roomy, warm, and smashing in both Danskos and Hanna Anderson clogs. Must knit more. The yarns in the stash continue to clamor for attention, but I'm trying to follow the mister's idea of finishing two projects for every new one I wish to cast on. *Sigh*
Anyway, next up in the catagory of "using your bathroom as a photography studio", here is the first half of the next pair off needles, and my attempt at the after-thought heel:
This sock began as a way to use up 'Old Koigu', which is not to be confused with the current, fingering-weight 'Newer Koigu'. I had enough to make heels and toes for some little boy socks, but the solid is 'Gems' sportweight. Soft, squishy, and will wear like iron... my gauge may have something to do with that last bit. The young sock recipient will no doubt be able to hand them off to one of his younger brothers. To stave off the fight over the handknits, I'm making another two pair, so all the boys will have warm feet this winter.

There have been a few willing patchworkers out in the blogosphere who have volunteered a block or two (or, in Gaylen's case, six) and I'm very pleased. I want to collect as many blocks as we can, random and wildly different as they may be. It's the first "virtual quilting bee" I've ever attempted, so dig in your fabric stash, dust off your sewing machine, and help send a bit of care and love to a family that has been through such a tragedy. I'm sweetening the deal with a random drawing for fat-quarter bundles for three lucky stitchers who send blocks in my general direction. Bribery, pure and simple, but you'll feel great about helping the cause.

The turkey is done, and there's two pies (mine and everyone else's), so I bid you farewell. Have a fabulous Thanksgiving. Eat too much, drink too much, and don't forget to take an extra nap. Smooches, pooches. C
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What's with your hubby dropping off Facebook and no longer blogging?

Unknown said...

Love the socks - is the colorway Tonks? The afterthought heel looks great. I love it! g