Saturday, June 7, 2008

Watermarked

Oops about the blogging absence. Friday was hectic, exciting, and exhausting, and it was so much fun to see all the Ravelers out in force for the fiber festival... then today happened. It had stormed all night, which isn't uncommon for spring in Indiana, but the drive in was treacherous. After 'white-knuckling' it to town, over swiftly moving water in a torrential downpour (God bless the man who invented Suburbans) and getting the kids settled in with Robin's granddaughter at the shop, the county was declared a flood/disaster/evacuation zone. Did they not know there were fiber junkies from a great many states in town for the event? Did they not care?

I couldn't get back to the kids at the shop, because the area around the court house was being emptied. Robin was upset, with a migraine, no less, and so Herr Becher was called to come rescue the chirruns. It took him over four hours to navigate what should have been a forty minute operation. Franklin is a mess, day two of the festival was a bomb, everyone spent the day shivering in wet clothes with no way to leave, and a general pall was cast over the event when the building's floor began to seep and puddle water. The nice lady in the booth next to mine had over eight hundred bucks worth of goods damaged. The day was spent hovering, worrying, waiting. When I was finally able to work my way out of town, it involved driving so far in the opposite direction, I had to lie to myself and pretend I was driving to the mall so I wouldn't have a panic attack. I made it home, and we're all fine, but the extent of the damage I saw in Franklin was sickening. Cars completely submerged, houses flooded up to the first floor window sills, people being rescued in bass boats by good ol' boys. You can always count on a redneck to be prepared. They're the ones with the cold beer stowed in the truck. The hospital was able to move the E.R. up a floor, but the streets leading to the hospital were closed. I have no idea what condition to expect the shop to be in when I can get back. Not yet sure when that will be, as we're being asked in this county to please stay home, so as not to interfere with rescue efforts. Bridges and dams are crumbling, and the main storm sewer burst it's guts in town. I think tomorrow will be spent just fondling my yarn and roving (yes, I'm a spinner again...well, soon, anyway) and counting all the ways I am so very lucky have such great friends.

Calm thoughts for RedRhonda, who's (posh, finished) basement took a beating today (six-ish inches of water), and for Melly, who braved driving rain and huge puddles, both of whom came today to take in the gorgeous fiber-y goodness, even though we had to slog through shin-deep water to go see Diane's booth. (And I scored her MB5 and MI sock yarns.) I'd been a bit sad about missing TNNA, but the people I've met the past two days more than made up for it all. Now, I am exhausted, still worried that Mandi might not have made it back home, and wiped from the Xanax (it was a multi-dose day) and the ice cold beer I slammed in minutes upon arriving home. Tomorrow will be better, but I hear it may rain on Monday... *groan*. C

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh, I hope everything and everyone - most importantly everyone - is okay. take care and don't mix too many zanax and cold beer! g

Thimbleanna said...

Holy Cow Cammie! I've been out of the press loop for two days -- no wonder the in-laws called to see what's going on up here. Glad to see you guys are ok -- so sorry to hear that the weather mucked with the festival. Hope all is well in the shop and there was no damage!

Anonymous said...

It was great to me you this weekend and I'm so glad that you made it home safely.

Happy knitting because you deserve it. :)

Annalea said...

Santa vaca. I've been so unplugged from the world with the move that I had no idea. I hope that everyone's okay . . . and the shop, too!