Tuesday, August 12, 2008

The day off that wasn't

Because I am a masochist, and delusional, and completely out of my freaking tree, we spent the day running around with all five children. After math lessons this morning, and a quick lunch which was interrupted by the power going out... again... we hauled ourselves into town for stops at the bank, Target, the book store, a car dealership, Toys R Hell, a big-box fabric store (I had a 40% off coupon... who doesn't love those?), and finally, dinner at Willie's restaurant (Texas Roadhouse... best steaks ever), where my youngest son had to do a full-frontal freak-out about the spicy 'cactus blossom' dip we told him he would not like...
After he was hauled to the men's room to have his mouth washed out, we had a slightly more peaceful "birthday dinner" out for both Lilly and "Boris". Yep. Middle child officially turns nine tomorrow. Twenty-seven hours of labor. Four bouts of "transition" prior to the 'official' one, where she finally deigned to come out already. This child who never cried, never threw up, never kept us up all night, never fussed, ate all her veggies, smiled non-stop for the first three years of her life, has now become a first rate 'artiste'... dramatic, with a terrifically morbid sense of humor, a quick wit, both sharp and dry, and the flaming pen-sword of a future graphic story- teller. I can't believe she has spent nine years with us already, but the time passes, she grows, and I know that her experience as "middle child, Becher Haus" are shaping her into exactly the sort of person she needs to be.
Tomorrow that little person gets to eat her weight in cake. I'm sure there will be a storyboard about it afterward. C

5 comments:

CraftRage said...

My birthday is tomorrow, too! I only WISH I was allowed to eat my weight in cake.

Unfortunately, carrying that much cake would probably cause The Hotness to have a heart attack in the driveway, and I wouldn't feel right about opening my presents while waiting for his ambulance to arrive. I mean, I'd still do it, but I'd feel awkward about it.

Thimbleanna said...

Your stories are so funny! The perfect middle child -- Happy Birthday to Lilly! I heard you had a blogger visit on Sunday!

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday to Lilly. I wish I had a mom as cool and funny as you - I'm glad to 'settle' for having you as a friend.

Oh - and happy birthday to Mr. Man! How's the new washer working out? g

Annalea said...

Happy Birthdays to Lilly and Herr Becher! (Who sports an absolutely awesome handle, btw.) And, no joke, it has been at least a decade now that I've wished I had Lilly as a name.

Can I join the masochist conga line, please? Moving twice in five weeks has gotta count . . .

Dragonfly7673 (Vicki) said...

happy birthday lilly and boris!!

I still don't feel well and reading about your day felt exhausting! you are wonder woman