Sunday, August 17, 2008

Decades Later...

Ahhh, the first pair of Mockery Socks are finished. Such a marvelous pattern, and as always, I am awed and inspired by how Knitting Brains work. The second sock seemed to take forever, but there was that bit of 'Clap' knitting in between and alongside this pair of wonderfully wrought (I Am So Modest) socks. They had a bath in Soak last night, and spent the evening hanging out on the bar of the AGA to dry. No sock blockers at Becher Haus; we do things the hard way. I hope the recipient loves wearing them as much as I did making them.
What's that peeking out from the top of the knitting bag, you ask? Well, allow me to show you...


After finishing the Mockery, part deux, I wasn't ready to call it a night. Herr Becher was already asleep, because he's got early 'gigs' on Sundays and Mondays, and because he's planning on being exhausted today on account of turning 40, and forty-year-olds need their rest. Eli was still up, hanging out with the mama, so we sat and watched an episode of "The Royal". I'd gotten a couple of sets of the Harmony wood fixed circs, in 2 and 2.25mm, to try out, and with the test yarn for the after-thought heel socks (I'm committing to a transcribed pattern for Gaylen), I cast on the toes. Love the colors, hate the uneven striping, and I. Was. Exact. in my casting on, but it's yarn from KnitPicks (horrors) and though the dye lots are identical, the color runs are not. ('Felici' yarn in "Coney Island", if you should care to likewise torment yourself.)


The needles are not for the faint of heart, nor the highly tense knitter. The 2.25mm size has adequate points on the tips, but the 2mm needles I'm using here are blunted (totally flat, actually) on the ends. I can only hope it's a manufacturing mistake, but it made knitting through the back of my yarn over increases an absolute bear. It's going better now that I'm on the 'straight away' portion of the sock, but I'll likely have to move back to my beloved addi lace needles before attempting the heel. These needles are for 'loosey-goosey' knitters only. Pure, unadulterated torture. Pretty, though.

I suppose I should go get Herr Becher's birthday brownies baked. Out of a box... something about peanut butter cups in the mix... Duncan Hines, I think. (Yes, I know, but he likes the box mixes... brings back his childhood or something.) Latah, chicas. C
Posted by Picasa

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I do not need your pitty pattern! I have a thought in the works of making some pretty socks for someone who is not me (that always works better for me). Toes up, garter stitch toes, stockinette foot, garter stitch afterthought heels, and a short leg. g

Knitterary said...

Knitpicks. That explains it.

Dragonfly7673 (Vicki) said...

See, I would never even try to match sock stripes. My theory is that they should be really different from each other so that no one even thinks I tried.

Thimbleanna said...

Ooooh, look at all that sock goodness! Love the finished socks and it's nice to see that you're back at two socks at once. Yay! I'm not buying knitpicks yarn again -- once was enough for my -- yick!