Sunday, August 10, 2008

Lookie what I found

One of the biggest drawbacks to an extensive stash is the need for concealment. Often this can be done simply by labeling sixty gallon Rubbermaid tubs "sweaters", or "blankets", or best yet,"seasonal clothing". Those are all sure fire ways to keep prying eyes out of the nether-regions of your emergency stockpile. They make the most compulsive among our kind look almost sane and rational to the casual observer. The problem arises when you know something is missing, though you can't remember exactly when you last saw it. Exhibit A: The very first pineapple block I ever made. A thing of beauty. Sheer perfection, and not paper-pieced, but done the 'old-fashioned' way... cut strips stitched carefully, with a whole lot of ironing-and spray starch- thrown in. I found eleven more blocks almost as 'done' as this one. I had totally forgotten it's very existance.

Still, it wasn't what I was actually looking for. What seems to be missing is the rest of the jelly roll I purchased two years ago to make Lillian a quilt. I'm just sure there were supposed to be thirty-five or forty strips, yet I can put my hands on only twenty-nine. I sat this morning and cut the ones I did find and, with careful use of the scrappy strip-ends to make three "hodge-podge" blocks, I think a quilt can be had for what's here...

Then, because I believe that daily humiliation is good for my soul, I'm throwing up a shot of the "Cami's had a stroke" quilt-blocks-in-progress. Yes, it's blurry. I was trying to avoid looking directly at it and, possibly, I may have been cringing whilst pressing the shutter. At any rate, the holiday quilt insists on infringing on my patchworking minutes, so I've decided to just get it over with, so I can move on to finishing quilts for the chirruns.


What do you want to bet those missing fabric strips turn up the minute I get Lilly's quilt top pieced?
Today is "Second Sunday", the one Sunday a month that I will haul my fat little self into town for shop hours. Noon to five, EST. Feel a need to stash? Want a custom quilt kit or yardage? (AB "Lotus" and Heather Bailey's "Freshcut" are today's special buys.) Need to stock up on Rowan or Nashua yarn? You have my digits in the clicky-link up there in the right hand corner. Call me, if only to make sure I didn't pass out from boredom. (Franklin on a Sunday is a hypnotic force to be reckoned with, believe me.) Latah, my crafty vixens. C
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Love it all! Lily's strips, the pineapple blocks and even the store shout out! You rock. Hope somebody walks in to give you hard earned cash!