Sunday, May 11, 2008

A dozen days

Today was supposed to be the drawing for the goodies that Clementine is giving out in the mailing list contest. Due to an excess of bile, the drawing will be postponed until tomorrow, and the winners will be notified by e-mail. Of course, there will also be some fanfare here on the blog, just in case the winner is also a reader.

Earlier, while pinned under a sweaty toddler, I cast on a new pair of socks, as a prelude to the 'real' socks I intend to knit next. (See how baby socks don't even qualify as a real project? I'm all hardcore now. Fer realz.) What this itty-bitty pair will tell me is a.) the proper needle size and gauge and b.) how the yarn will wear. If it's too delicate, no way am I suffering through an adult pair. I've started the wee sock on 2mm (size zero) needles, but may have to break out the triple goose eggs, which are only a fraction smaller, but other than lace pins, I don't know what to do. Ahh, such is the plight of the tight knitter... one has to go to extremes to satisfy the craving for more stitches per inch. Which isn't to say that I didn't enjoy the ease and speed of getting a pair of socks knit in less than two weeks. It was zippy-quick knitting, even given the three days I didn't even touch them, so the wrists could rest. Twelve days to knitted bliss. My kind of twelve step program.
I have another SIP* to complete a pair, and another two-at-a-time set awaiting heels. D-Fly has a list of tutorials on her blog, and there's a great one on short-row heels. Are you paying attention, my little lawn critic? (I'd like to add here that we have over two hundred hickory/assorted trees in the front yard alone, and being 220 feet off the road gives us the slightest bit of leeway in not "keeping up appearances". If my neighbors want to get shitty over the tall grass, I can counter with asking them to remove the purple schoolbus from their sideyard.)

Kind of feeling puny myself now, so at 9:22 p.m., I think I'll take some Pepto and call it a night. Come back tomorrow. You never know what might be plastered up here.
* until it sticks, SIP= sock-in-progress. Start using it as much as humanly possible. So I don't sound like a total nutkin.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'mmmmm saury.... like I said I haven't seen the whole yard. You know I don't give a damn about appearances - but it just looked like someone has moved out! I like fields of long flowing grasses and wildflowers - just not right next to the house. I know you're not into gardening but perennial flower beds with mulch-so the lawn mower doesn't have to belch nasty gases might be an idea. Maybe the children would enjoy gardening - they seem to have many worthy hobbies. With your allergies - it just doesn't seem to help you. Thanks for the links for socks - I cleaned out the "yarn corner" yesterday and was looking at the pair ready for a heel. My husband said "hey, there is a floor there". Yah, yah, yah.
Would you accept my humble apologies... I just want good things for you and the chirruns and Mr Boris.
Always, Rob

Dragonfly7673 (Vicki) said...

The rest of us saying SIP is not going to prevent the world from thinking you're nutkins *tease*

Dragonfly7673 (Vicki) said...

where did all your blog links go. Only us stalkers are still there....