Friday, May 9, 2008

I should've stayed in bed

This blog began as a personal thing, and even though I'm a big, grown-up shop owner now, it's still pretty much full of personal things. I share my day, with whomever wants to read about it. There are so many stories I have yet to tell, and a few that won't ever see the light of day (unless we're both drunk), but this day was a day rife with frustration. In it, I may have spewed not-so-nice words at a person who insisted on reading while driving, all the while weaving across both lanes like a drunkard after closing time, and to the wee VW bug in front of "left-of-center" dude... I just have to ask... do you even know where the accelerator is? Hmmm? It's the pedal on the right. Next time we meet, I may just nose you into the ditch. Trust me, you'll be safe there, until your mother ship comes to collect you.

To add to my gripe (oh, yes, there is more), the pattern download I was attempting to make a copy of this morning had mysteriously gone missing from the Amy Butler website, replaced with Amy's apology (to an insecure pattern designer of dubious talent), for the pattern from Westminster bearing too many similarities to the quilt pattern marketed on this other person's own website. A quilt bearing similarities to another quilt? I might faint. And yes, I'm staking my claim on squares, people. If this certain someone thinks she owns isosceles triangles and parallelograms, by God, I want to claim squares. Let's just see how far anyone will get, making a quilt, without my permission to use squares. Just ugh. Freaking ugh. And AB had to take the Westminster pattern down (temporarily), and my Xanax hadn't kicked in yet... No throats were ripped out during this 'fit of pique' of mine, but there's always tomorrow...
A quick phone call later, and all was well with the world, at least as far as pattern downloads go. I have readied kits for the "Midwest Modern" fabrics, and they are gorgeous. Clean, playful Japanese motifs, and clear, fresh colorways. It's grand, and not at all too challenging for a novice stitcher.

On the home front, Herr Becher's "going green" plan for the yard is working out just swell. We have a yard to rival any hay field, and will surely become a haven for wood ticks, spiders, those weird green and blue salamanders (or are they just green and blue when they're on my house?) and toads. Hopefully, something that likes to eat bugs will decide Serengeti grass is just the thing it wants to hang out in, and, with a bit of luck, whatever 'it' is won't be big enough to eat the children.
I've just been told some lucious hand painted yarn is winging it's way to the shop. Stay tuned. Rabid rant over. For now.

6 comments:

Annalea said...

So, did you get the pattern after all?

Honestly, all of this hyper-sensitivity and freaking out over grandiose copyright imaginings among internet crafters is wearing thin. I feel a blog post coming on . . .

Unknown said...

I remember when . . . anyway, that's another reason not to quilt, or blog, or anything else. I'm feeling really cranky lately. Sorry to grump on your blog. g

prairievisiondesign : handmade said...

That was a small rant on the CB scale...would love to see pictures of the yard in future posts. I love waving grass. Perhaps you should film the children running through it, with the "little house on the prairie" theme music in the background? I am serious.

Anonymous said...

If you're calling squares, i am calling circles.
I hear ya on the lawn...i am letting my back half go native. Just throw some wildflower seed out there, and call it a day.

Thimbleanna said...

What the hey? I'm catching up to find you've called squares and Jessica has dibs on circles??? I'm going to have to trash all my UFOs now. What will I do with all my free time? I guess I can sew other things. That's it! I'm calling straight stitch. Now. Before someone else does and there's nothing left for me to do. I SO do not understand these people who woke up yesterday and think they've re-invented the wheel. Ack.

Lauren said...

I also missed out on downloading the complete pattern. Any assistance you could give me would be much appreciated.